Carrots are an excellent side dish for those with hypothyroidism as they are an excellent source of vitamin A which supports thyroid function. This recipe uses much less honey than traditional honey carrot recipes to help keep added sugars to a minimum. The spice adds a nice flavor, and may help to kill unwanted bacteria unwanted bacteria in the intestinal tract! For those who are sensitive to spicy foods, try paprika instead of cayenne pepper.
Makes two (2) servings.
- 5 large whole carrots, peeled
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Slice carrots into approximately 2-inch thin slices. Arrange on a baking sheet, and top with oils, spices, and honey. Stir on the baking sheet to combine.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
Pro Tip: Feel free to experiment with spices! This is a versatile recipe where you can use any spices you may have on hand.